Look up! Understand the Power of a Ceiling
We all know how painting a wall can transform an entire room. Did you ever consider the impact color and texture on a ceiling? It is unexpected and interesting. The ceiling is considered the “fifth wall” and is often overlooked.
Here are some ideas:
- Paint: adding a color to the ceiling will give it the oomph you might be looking for. You can create a bold, dramatic visual or a soft hint of color for warmth and a cozy feel. If you are a bit timid in doing this, then consider painting it either a lighter or darker shade than the walls. This way you know that it coordinates and there is no concern for a “clashing” effect. If you are a bit of a risk taker, then go for a dramatic effect with a strong color such as red, navy, yellow, or black. A good rule of thumb while painting the ceiling is to avoid painting in “W’s”, but instead in a straight roll. If you need to add a second coat, roll it perpendicular to the first coat.
- Pressed-tin paneling: if you are looking for something a bit different and enjoy seeing texture on the ceiling, this might be a good option for you. The paneling is normally a metal color, but some folks decide to paint them to coordinate them with their room. If you decide to use paint, make sure it is oil based and use a deep nap roller to get into the crevices. To add even more interest, add a bit of contrasting color with a paintbrush or sponge. It is recommended that rooms with this type of paneling have some fabrics to help absorb sound. The paneling with deflect the sound, creating a louder atmosphere. Use drapes, area rugs, carpeting, and pillows to absorb the sound.
- Wood: reminiscent of log cabins and country homes, wood on the ceiling creates a warm, cozy feel to the room. With the many stains, wood grains, and design layouts available, this is a great option for any room in your home. If you do not feel comfortable creating a full ceiling of wood, then possibly consider wood beams.
- Fabric: yes, fabric can be applied to the ceiling. Fabric is a wonderful way to add design and absorb sound. So, it is perfect for bedrooms. Adding a billowing fabric to your bedroom ceiling creates a romantic and comforting feel. Other options would be to apply flat sheets of fabric and add interesting details such as a contrasting border and ties. Shirr lots of fabric on the ceiling and down one wall to hide an unsightly ceiling or wall.
- Wallpaper: you might be thinking that wallpaper on the ceiling looks gaudy. And it can. Be careful not to use a very busy pattern on both the walls and ceilings. If you love a tiny pattern, then use a color in the wallpaper to paint the walls. Then, wallpaper the ceiling. If you have a small window seat or niche area, wallpapering the walls and ceiling within that space can set it apart from everything else and create a focus on that particular area.
Regardless of what type of medium you place on your ceiling, using something other than white paint will create more of a wow factor. It will show that you had a complete thought about that room’s design and took into account all planes to decorate.
Shell Lumber has many of the supplies that you will need to create the ceiling that fits into your home’s décor. We are located at 2733 S.W. 27th Avenue Miami, Florida 33133, visit us online atwww.shelllumber.com or give us a call locally at 305-856-6401 or Toll Free 800-621-6391