Top 5 Do-it-Yourself Tips of 2015
When it comes to do it yourself projects around the home, no two people approach things in exactly the same way. Over the years, some have gotten very creative and have been nice enough to share what has worked for them with the rest of us.
We nominate these ideas as our top 5 customer tips of the year.
- Stop used paint cans from dripping and running. Poke small, evenly spaced nail holes all around the rim in a downward direction. Excess paint will drain down through the holes into the can allowing you to put the top back on securely saving paint and without making a mess.
- C-Clamp Instant Handles. Climbing up and down a ladder to grab a hammer over and over again isn’t convenient. Clamp a C-clamp sideways near where your hand naturally hangs. It becomes an instant shelf! This can also be used for paint cans (make sure the clamp is on nice and tight!).
- Wood screws too tight? – Rub them on a slightly wet bar of soap, it will reduce friction and the amount of elbow grease you need to get them into proper position. Can’t get a grip? Old stripped screws are a problem to remove. Simply place the flat side of an ordinary rubber band against the screw, then apply the screwdriver and twist. Instant gripping power.
- Reduce Plywood Cut Splintering – To help reduce or prevent splintered edges when cutting plywood, use masking tape on the back side of the board where the cut is to be made.
- Pull headless finish nails tip-first to remove. This will significantly help to avoid splitting the lumber.
With any job there is always an easy way and the hard way. Shell Lumber & Hardware is a great source for finding a route to do things the most expedient practical way possible.
Give us a call or stop by for a personalized project consultation.
Shell Lumber & Hardware can be reached by phone Monday-Friday: 7AM – 6PM and Saturday: 8AM – 5PM by calling 305-856-6401 locally or 800-621-6391 toll free. Or visit Shell Lumber & Hardware online at http://shelllumber.com/2733 S.W. 27th Avenue Miami, Florida 33133