BENEFITS OF GROWING NATIVE PLANTS
While everyone loves a landscape filled with beautiful and exotic plants and trees from all around the world, sometimes the best and most successful gardens are the ones with plants that can be found locally. Additionally, you aren’t the only one to benefit from a garden filled with local plants – the community as a whole, along with all of its unique wildlife, benefits as well.
Some of the benefits you’ll find of growing with native plants include:
- Enjoy little to no maintenance. Because native plants thrive the best in the environment in which they can be found naturally, it should come as no surprise that they also require very little work when planted in a local garden. While you might not necessarily be able to completely ignore these plants in your own yard and should still monitor them regularly, they won’t require frequent hands-on maintenance or checking on in order to survive.
- Take advantage of rain water. Native plants survive successfully in wild environments with no one to water them, and not surprisingly require very little manual watering in your own garden. In fact, the amount of natural rain water that your area receives is often enough to sustain these plants completely, saving you valuable time and money from not having to water them as frequently.
- Save money on pesticides. In order to survive in their local environments, native plants are built-up to withstand anything that nature can throw at them, including various insects and pests. When plants are consistently faced with the same enemies in nature they build-up their own natural defenses against these pests and diseases, and thus require less unnatural protection in the form of pesticides when in your lawn.
- Attract native wildlife. Fortunately, pests aren’t the only creatures that native plants attract. They also attract a series of beneficial creatures as well, such as hummingbirds, butterflies, and various types of insects that help to keep the local ecosystem in balance.
- Support the local ecosystem. By growing with native plants you are doing much more than simply supporting your immediate environment. You are also preventing the spread of exotic and invasive plants in the areas around you, and ensuring that future generations will be able to enjoy the environment in a more natural state.
Whether you are looking for exotic plants or those native to Florida, there is no better selection than the one you’ll find at the lawn and garden center of Shell Lumber & Hardware in Miami. To browse through our current catalog of plants and trees, or for general growing advice to ensure your garden or lawn looks its very best year round, simply give us a call at (305) 856-6401 or visit us in person Monday-Saturday at 2733 S.W. 27th Avenue.