DOES YOUR AC FILTER NEED REPLACEMENT?
If you live in South Florida, then you know how essential it is to have an air conditioner that functions properly – on particularly hot days, being able to stay cool inside of your home is not only comfortable, but can help protect you and your loved ones from potential illness or injury due to heat. To ensure that your family is cool and comfortable all year long, you’ll want to have it regularly serviced by a professional, in addition to changing your filter periodically when needed. But how do you know when it’s time to change your filter? Keep an eye out for the following signs:
1. The air inside your home is making you sick. If your air filter is very dirty, then you may have already noticed yourself or your loved ones experiencing allergies or feeling sick with much greater frequency. A dirty filter can also cause sore throats, congestion, itchy eyes, and even severe breathing problems in those with asthma. If a clogged filter is the culprit, then a simple replacement will often have you feeling better almost instantly.
2. Your energy bills have increased. If you’ve noticed an increase in your bills over time, especially if you haven’t actually increased your usage, then it may be time to replace your filter. A dirty or clogged filter is not always the cause of such an issue, but should be the first thing you check before moving onto more potentially costly repairs.
3. Your home is taking longer or is harder to cool. This oftentimes goes hand in hand with an increase in your energy bills, as you may find yourself turning the AC up higher or on with more frequency as you attempt to combat the growing inefficiency of your unit. Not only is this practice bad for your pocketbook, but the environment will suffer as well as more and more harmful coolants are released into the air on a constant basis.
4. You’ve noticed visible dust. A dirty or clogged air conditioner filter will constantly cycle unclean air throughout your home. This can make your home smell bad and the air inside feel old and stale, creating a mist of dust and debris in your home that is so thick you can clearly see the evidence of it displayed throughout. You’ll see more dust collecting on your floors and furniture than is usual and find that a new layer of dust develops almost instantly after you finish cleaning.
While the above guidelines and signs can certainly help you, there is no “one size fits all” answer when it comes to changing your air conditioning filter. How often yours actually needs to be changed will vary depending on the following factors:
- The type of air conditioning system that you have and the type of specific filter that it requires.
- How many people are living in your home.
- Whether or not you have any pets living with you.
- The general air quality of the city in which you live.
Keeping your air conditioning system running optimally all year long is essential for prolonging the overall lifespan of your entire HVAC unit. Ensuring that your air filters are always clean and working their best will save you money, improve your health, and ensure that you can enjoy the warm, sunny weather in Florida from your very own cool and comfortable environment. For a wide selection of filters to fit any HVAC unit in the market today, visit Shell Lumber & Hardware in Miami, or call us today at (305) 856-6401.